Frequently Asked Questions

What types of events can you help with?

The Hearts of Gold Foundation provides financial assistance to participants who have suffered a catastrophic event causing a financial hardship. Below are some examples of situations Hearts of Gold has helped with:
House or other structure fire
Cancer or other catastrophic medical diagnosis for participant or dependent/spouse
Costs associated with unexpected funeral expenses for a dependent or spouse
Excessive medical bills
Medical bills or rehabilitation bills associated with catastrophic injuries such as severe vehicle accidents, or other accidental injuries
Medical treatments and/or devices that may not be covered completely or partially by insurance

What types of events are you not able to help with?

Hearts of Gold operating procedures specifically exclude job loss or vagaries of the economy from assistance eligibility.

Do I have to be a Hearts of Gold Participant to receive assistance?

Yes. Department members must have been contributing a minimum of $5 per paycheck for 90 days before they are eligible to receive assistance.

Can I receive assistance for my family?

Yes! Participants are eligible to receive assistance for themselves and any other dependent family member. This means anyone for whom the participant is financially responsible. This could be a spouse, significant other, child, parent, grandparent, or any other person living with the participant.

I am not a sworn officer, can I still participate?

Yes! All Department members are eligible to participate including professional staff.

Can I fill out an application for someone else?

Hearts of Gold understands that when someone experiences a catastrophic event, they may not have the time or energy to fill out the application. Participants may receive assistance with filling out the application, however, all applications must be signed by the participant making the request.

Do I have to pay the bills first and wait to be reimbursed?

No! If you have a qualifying catastrophic event causing financial hardship, you can submit the bills with the application. If approved, we can either pay the bill directly, or give you the assistance to pay the bill. All we require is a receipt showing payment was made.

How do I know if I'm a participant?

If you are a contributing participant, the deduction will show as "PS Foundation" on your paystub. You can also email [email protected] or call our Executive Director, Jamie Brady at
520-465-0375 to find out.